I am a 21-year resident of Newton. My husband, Dan Silver, and I live with our two children in Newton Centre. Dan is a Newton native who attended Angier, Meadowbrook (now Brown), and Newton South High School. Our children have attended Mason-Rice and Bigelow. They currently attend Newton North and Day.
I feel privileged to live in the beautiful, vibrant City of Newton. I have a strong commitment to giving back to the community and I have volunteered my time with many organizations that make up the fabric of our city. My community involvement has included:
- Past President and Current Board Member, Newton PTO Council
- Member, Newton Public Schools Equity Committee
- Volunteer Math Tutor at Burke High School in Dorchester, with Boston Partners in Education
- Troop Leader, Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts since 2006
- Board Member, West Suburban YMCA
- Past Board Member, League of Women Voters of Newton
Charter Study Co-Chair, 2009-10
Charter Petition Signature Drive Chair, 2012-15
Past President, Mason-Rice PTO Past President, Newton Mothers’ Forum United Methodist Church of Newton, member since 1995
President, United Methodist Women
Past Lay Leader, Past Chair, Staff-Parish Relations Committee
I spent 19 years in the corporate world, working as a project manager in strategic planning and financial and risk analysis. In the Boston area, I worked for Bank of Boston, FleetBoston Financial, and Bank of America. I was a Senior Vice President in the Wealth Management division when I decided to leave the banking world and spend more time with my family.
In 2008, I founded a Newton-based business, Cypress Development, LLC. We rehabilitate deteriorated homes in Newton. Our business model emphasizes enduring quality and energy efficiency not typically found in development projects. I support historic preservation and thoughtful zoning reform that will protect the character and scale of our neighborhoods while allowing homeowners flexibility to update their homes for modern living.
- BS in Biology, College of William and Mary
- MBA in Finance, Darden Graduate School of Business at the University of Virginia